Sunday, July 7, 2013

Twas the Night Before Capetown

Location: Knoxville, TN.

I am in the living room creating my first blog entry for Stories From A Traveler.  The buzzing of the A/C unit is the only noise I hear in the apartment. The place is empty. I am completely drained from a day filled of packing. I have moved all my belongings to a local storage, so I can check-out of my apartment right before I head to the McGhee Tyson Airport. There are a few suitcases and a backpack near the window facing the courtyard. The fridge now contains only my roommate's items and the pantry is bare. The kitchen counter tops are cover with cleaning supplies on one side and left over food on the other.  My bathroom sink is no longer filled with beauty supplies and hair care products. In my room, only the bed sheets remain. The shelf above the desk  is no longer stock with LSAT prep books, "door decs", and  Spanish material.

Due to the emptiness of the apartment, I feel alone even though my sister is near by on the couch chatting about one thing or another. I have tuned her out to enhance my meditation. This feeling is not depressing, more like a way to allow me to mentally prepare myself for the next segment of my life. By removing myself from the conversation, I am able to strip myself from all the things that absorb my energy, such as academics, current employment, future career plans, and the many other factors that play a role in My World.

  My thoughts have now shifted to  what is in store for the next 30 days as I embark on my journey to Capetown, South Africa in less than three hours. I am curious about the things I will do, the people I will encounter, the knowledge I will obtain and the memorizes I will make.  Today, I discovered that the estimated travel time will approximately 31 hours and 55 minutes, which includes a 10 hour layover!  Hopefully during the travel time, I will get some rest and work on an annotated bibliography which requires reading eight articles of my choosing, pertaing to several social issues affecting South Afica. Some of the topics include social justice, education and gender, HIV/AIDS, and poverty.  Did I mention the the bibliography is due on July 9th?

Well, I am about to re-check all my baggage to make sure I have everything.

Signing out,

Jasmine
Me and the empty apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment