Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Started From the Bottom: Lion's Head Hike


Challenge of the day 




The southern half of  the hemisphere is currently experiencing its winter season. Around this time of year, Cape Town gets a high of  only 63 degrees F/ 17 C. Since my time here, the temperature has got as low as  46 degrees F/ 8 C. During our first day in Cape Town (Wednesday, July 10th),  Clive, our program provider, suggested that we should hike Lion's Head Mountain due to the city's unusually warm weather of 73 degrees F/ 23 C. I really thought Clive was crazy. "Hiking a mountain on our FIRST day, you got to be kidding me?!? I'm sure there will be more warm days to come. We can definitely do this some other time," I kept telling myself. Let's see if my perception changes by the end of the blog...

Let the pain begin!

What did I get myself into?  This is where things started to get tough.

Ashley at the foot of the steep steps.




Somewhere along the way, a few of us took a quick rest stop to soak in the moment. Looking back at the photo today, I believe that the camera was able to capture me beside an obstacle but through it all, I have enough strength to smile because I was able to visualize myself conquering it.

Eboni and I thriving from the sun's energy.


Can't get this view in Tennessee


We made it. I'm in a cave, preparing to watch the sunset.














Can you see the 12 disciplines?
The moment is here

 

Well ladies and gentlemen, that was a little taste of my first day in the beautiful city of Cape Town. The hike up was well worth it. Whoever said going down the mountain was the easy part told a bucket full of lies and fairy tales. Sometimes while trying to retrace your steps, you focus more on looking down so you won't fall. You tend to miss the beauty around you. My experience at Lion's Head made me realize that the gift of life is what you obtain while working your way up to the top because at that state you are always looking forward. 


No comments:

Post a Comment